What is your IQ Score?

this letter was written to a very good friend in Pretoria, South Africa in response to one of those magical instant tests that appear on Facebook almost every day. Because Penny had posted it I decided to PLAY ALONG and share my results.

Dear Penny 

I quit taking it and skipped the last 6 or 7 questions and got this score

My professors in the various TEST Courses from 4 different degrees in Education, 2 completed 2 not: Gifted Ed, B.Ed in Middle School Math, M.Ed in Guidance and Counseling and Ph.D in Educational Psychology

ALL criticized the accuracy and true value of every IQ test that had been produced from the 30s in Germany through to 1983 when finished my last degree

J. P. Guilford and Mary Meeker in their book
STRUCTURE OF THE INTELLECT changed the narrowness of the usual IQ test.

This one is even narrower in scope.

All the questions were about only one mental process....

JP and Mary created tests that measure 164 different mental skills or processes.

This is one of the worst I have ever seen.

What was your source that has shown and claims that the average IQ in SA is only 77. How many people were truly tested? How many research studies were done? How were the tests implemented?

In the US most IQ tests I have been exposed to and/or taken claim that average in the US ranges usually
from 85 to 110 or so.

Standard Deviations on those tests I vaguely remember were about 12.5. SD means the range to right or the left any person might score if they take the test multiple times.

For many years school children were labeled "Academically Gifted" if their scores were 2 S.D.s above the mean of 100 or 125+

My oldest son, Jeff scored in the 150s and qualified.
My youngest son, Scott scored 118 to 120.

I can still remember the scene when the county visiting psychometrist was trying to CONSOLE me when she claimed that Scott had not qualified for the Gifted Program I would then lead as a volunteer teacher for the next 1 1/2 school years.

I still remember one of the questions he failed that she used as example of why he was Gifted.

It had to do explaining about the word or concept of a dozen.

Scott at that time new the names "dozens" of fish on sight, could place kick a football, already demonstrated excellent sport skills.....

But as she said that day...

"Mr. Black not all of our children are born gifted."

Comments

Popular Posts