Am I Weird Because I Can Read this?

Am I Weird Because I Can Read this?

(where are the research citings justifying this blatant claim)


Dear Evelyn and Christine Neither.  

It is simply a game played by trainers, speakers, teachers and professors.

When I worked full time as a graphics and signage designer and was working on a M.A. in visual communication I came across this type of exercise and read a few articles that claimed that WORDS do not necessarily have to be spelled correctly to be READ or UNDERSTOOD. Merely all the letters need to be present.

What I vaguely remember from that time period in my life, 1968 to 1972 is some research had been done and reported on saying in order to read we need only be provided the all the correct letters of words.

At first it seems impossible.

But once our minds realize that the words are merely jumbled we can then read them. With practice it becomes easier and easier.

This IS NOT A TEST of WEIRDNESS at all.

Many different reading legibility tests were done in the 1960s, I now vaguely recall.  

Letter arrangement
Spelling
word arrangement
typefaces
type size 
typeface versions: regular, italic, bold, underlined, all CAPS, all lower case, Upper and Lower case combined 
color of the type 
vertical spacing
word or letter spacing
printing only the top half of the letters
printing only the bottom half of the letters.

I read communications industry and scientific journal paper after paper or article after article for my studies and for some of the projects at work that I was assigned.

NO YOU ARE NOT WEIRD because you can read this exercise.

NOW ARE YOU WEIRD because of other reasons.

That is a different matter.  

HA HA



Comments

Popular Posts