World's Language or speaking in your own native tongue

World's Language or speaking in your own native tongue

enjoyed your article on LinkedIn very much Heather.

Traveling the world the past 42 years has taught me much of what you wrote.

As I began to focus on speaking/training in countries where ENGLISH (World's language????  ENGLISH is not a single language around the globe, but many different languages that use similar words, that don't always have the same meanings)

I began to encourage the students or participants to talk at their tables while doing exercises in their native language years ago and found that richer responses were generated.

Only a few countries have I had translators.  Because I tend to get into a state of flow when I present I warn the translators that I may use USA slang or humor.

My suggestion to the translators is that when they notice that I have slipped into Americanease or jargon or my native sense of humor or they become confused with my message that they say this...

"our speaker has come from a long way away and has just used some DUMB humor.  Please let's show him we are polite in this country and laugh now."

Also to stop me if they can during a break to clarify any confusion.

Using the principles of HUMAN THINKING STYLES, that impact all human activities: thinking, learning, communicating, teaching, training, leading, .....etc. I attempt to share the same information in multiple styles and forms

Meditative
Intuitive
Negotiative
Directive

verbally, visually, physically, emotionally, socially

I first learned in 1978 traveling through 24 countries from Wales to Egypt to listen for

WHAT WAS MEANT

not what was actually said or written

and to ask polite questions when I do not understand.

and some other strategies I have learned or created.

Also because the English grammar is not universal actually and that languages often have different structures or syntax.

For example, Turkish does not have prepositions, Japanese do not have the "L" sound, and the habit in India and much of the far East of NODDING HEADS even when you do not understand at all.

Excellent article Heather.

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for this nice response, Allan! You've been fortunate to travel to so many places and meet so many people. It's so nice to see someone so humbly and openly travel the world with a sincere interest in learning from others. Your open mind and heart allow you to connect with people across languages and cultures and proves that communication and connection are human traits. Your focus on understanding what was MEANT is pivotal to creating true understanding, and allows the speaker to open up without fear of embarrassment. And I love your tip for your interpreter to create a humorous situation if you accidentally revert to your Americanisms. Thanks so much for your thoughts! And if anyone wants to read the article you're responding to, they can find it here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/nice-meet-you-english-heather-hansen/

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you....

    In 1977 among the many things I learned about communication
    with a language
    through a language

    with words in their language
    without words at all

    among the many things that Summer taught me was that drawings, actions, facial expressions and other forms of non-verbal communication, photos, sketches, doodles often communicate more effectively than words.

    When I began presenting at the yearly CREA-ITALY I did sessions on
    communicating with NO WORDS at all.

    Eventually people began creating VISUAL COMMUNICATION BOOKS that are filled with photos instead of words in any language.

    I tried to learn the various languages, at least 200 to 300 words in 1977 and since but found that on the street spoken language, due to accents, pace of speaking and that I am not that strong as an audible learner without visuals to support the spoken words I was not truly learning any other learning any other language except for isolated words or short phrases.

    Then one day I traveled by train, bus, hitchhiking using my sketchbook to communicate with and a few badly pronounced words or phrases from Zurich to Ronchamp to Lure back to Zurich and accomplished exactly what I wanted to do without really needing to know French.

    Since then I have done that often in many countries and even in parts of English speaking countries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such great points! On our flight from Ho Chi Minh to Singapore this weekend, a young Vietnamese man was sitting next to me. He didn't speak a word of English and couldn't figure out how to fill in his immigration card. Somehow we managed to communicate without language and figured out he was moving to Singapore to work. His work pass had just been approved. I helped him fill out his immigration card and we walked him to the immigration area (because, of course, he couldn't read the signs). We lost him at immigration, but as we were waiting in line for our taxi, we finally saw him emerge from baggage and reunite with his sister who we knew was waiting for him. It was a really lovely encounter and we were happy we were able to help him. I can't imagine how nervous he was to be flying alone to a new country without being able to understand a single word of English.

      Delete
  3. thank you for sharing that touching story about two human beings
    helping each other without using words of either of their native languages

    visual languages work in ALL cultures

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts