"It is good to get to know people outside one's usual orbit..."

"It is good to get to know people outside 
  one's usual orbit..."

Wally

"It is good to get to know people outside one's usual orbit, and I've kind of made that a goal in retirement."

I have been a multi-tasking, multiple job, moonlighting person since I was 16 through 2 marriages and 18 years since as a widower, batchelor. 

Much of my life I have had friends, contacts, acquaintances from outside of my professions du Jour.

Once I moved to Athens I strived to meet and get to know
faculty and staff from many of the depts. I joined Kiwanis and Toastmasters to meet knew and different people.

But then in 1984 when I began traveling around the state, the south, the entire 48 mainland states and then when I began traveling around the globe I focused on getting to know people
from my audiences, clients, other speakers or trainers.

The internet and all of its variances of social software I am able to keep in touch virtually with many people in the various countries and cities I have traveled, worked or lived in right from this laptop while looking at my wonderful Walden Pond, sans the Pond Forest even with the pesty squirrels occasionally.

But a day or two or three in one location is not enough 
to develop deep friendships.

Remember 49 jobs in 56 years mostly 8 related professions:

News writing
Architecture
Graphics & Signage
Cartooning
Freelance writing
professor at 3 different universities: 
UGA - non-tenure track lecturer (4 years), Columbus State Univ - Adjunct (15 yrs),
Drexel Univ - Online (2 semesters)
Speaker/Trainer/Facilitator
Consultant 

but nearly almost on the move,
seldom anywhere for more than a week at a time.
until the last 18 months.

Wandering Alan
alan@cre8ng.com
http://www.cre8ng.com


Comments

Popular Posts