STOP QUOTING DEAD WHITE GUYS.


STOP QUOTING "ONLY"
DEAD WHITE GUYS.



the following is a discussion my Argentinian creativity friend and I had about this quote of mine
and my comment

STOP QUOTING DEAD WHITE GUYS.


Raúl Collado Perfect, Alan. "The word ´One´ so as to refer to ourselves is a liitle bit exaggerated." ~ Santiago Kovadloff.
Robert Alan Black glad you like it Raúl Collado
Actually it gets more complex...


Believe 
Think 
Feel 
Try 
What others 

when we add thinking style variables

Behavior patterns 

Value systems

and numerous other human factor differences.

I have been playing with quotations from DEAD WHITE GUYS for several years and occasionally post them giving credit to the original DEAD WHITE GUY too.

Raúl Collado I like to quote, you know, no matter if the idea believes to that person or not.
Raúl Collado ¿What do you call DEAD WHITE GUYS, Alan?
Robert Alan Black a very successful speaker and now professional speaker coach, FRIPPY (Patricia Fripp) shared the idea of 

DON'T ALWAYS QUOTE DEAD WHITE GUYS.


instead quote men, women, children, famous, infamous, your neighbors, etc 

during a short session at the 1st NSA Convention I attended in 1990 in Atlanta.

I have never forgotten that idea and practice it often even now 25 years later.

Robert Alan Black Dead White Guys are simply

DEAD White MEN, usually famous and known by EVERYONE.


Ben Franklin, George Washington, Thomas Edison, Abe Lincoln, etc., etc. etc.

What Frippy was encouraging us new speakers was to quote many types of people, not just the usual.

BE CREATIVE! is what I heard her say back in 1990.

Raúl Collado That´s great!. I quote my neigbour sometimes! hahahahaha.
Raúl Collado Santiago Kovadloff is still VERY alive and he´s the thinker I most admire in this country.
Raúl Collado ¿Any special connotation in WHITE guys? that´s what I don´t´follow.
Robert Alan Black I just saw your Santiago Kovadloff quote from a few minutes ago.

I like that.


Unfortunately I have never heard of him and thus know nothing about him and his work or writings.

For years I have been telling people to audiences that the 

OLDER I GET THE MORE PERSONALITIES I ACQUIRE or DEVELOP.

The good thing about having many different personalities is

I AM NEVER ALONE.

Robert Alan Black I will try to explain further and hopefully more clearly....

Any special connotation in WHITE guys?
...See More

Raúl Collado Yes, that´s what I guessed. Thanks, Alan.
Robert Alan Black I just captured our discussion and put it on one of my blogs to save it.

http://alaniswriting-cre8ngalan.blogspot.com/.../discussi...

Robert Alan Black here is how the blog page looks.
Raúl Collado OK, let´s say that this writer, Kovadloff, is the first translator of Potuguesse poet Fernando Pessoa in Argentina. Pessoa was a master of I could translate as "Self-not-Knowing." He wrote most his work using heteronyms (not pseudonyms); that is: different personalities of himself he called Ricardo Reis, Haroldo de Campos, and many otjhers...
Raúl Collado We´re a little out-of-step in the discussion, but that´s great, we´re thinking at the same time.
Raúl Collado Love you post it in your blog, Alan!
Robert Alan Black aha I will see if I can find some of his writings in English where he used the different names.

I have different characters I have used over the past 35 years as a speaker, trainer and college professor.
...See More

Raúl Collado There´s a variation of same idea, also by Kovadloff: "In any love relationship, there are at least 4 people: you, the other person, who the other person sees in you, and who you see in the other person."
Robert Alan Black I have seen that statement a few times over the years.

I have used representing how many ideas two people have together.
...See More

Raúl Collado I´m looking for a translation of the statement "Aprender a desconocerse," stated by Pessoa, but it´not easy to translate it.
Raúl Collado I raughly translated it yesterday as "Learn how to self-not-knowing", but that´s not the idea.
Raúl Collado "Desconocerse" is nearer to "Unlearn" who you are.
Raúl Collado "Learn to unlearn who you are" would be hugely better.
Raúl Collado Translation is such an art too. It needs incubation sometimes. 
Robert Alan Black thank you for the extended and extra translations Raul.
Raúl Collado You´re welcome, Alan.
Billie Carn Luv it. Sounds a bit like the Johari Window don't it? Bx

Comments

Popular Posts