Mornings in June around my houses

Mornings in June around my houses

Dac

Your childhood in rural Texas was quite different from mine
in northeast Detroit.

In our house I had 3 separate bedrooms growing up

1st was the 2nd bedroom on the first floor.
I was moved out when my oldest brother
had to have his appendix removed and could
not climb our stairs for awhile.

When he went to college I regained that bedroom.

2nd I shared with my middle brother upstairs
in the attic that my parents had converted into a second floor.

3rd was on the other half of the second floor revision

from then on I lived with my first wife and our sons in
4 different places: apartment, 1 rental home, 2 homes
we mortgaged

from then on I lived in many different:

apartments, 
rental houses,
my office for awhile after the fire in a rental house, 
a side room of a friends house for a couple weeks after the fire, 
a side room of my 1st in-law's home in Detroit after the Riots in Detroit in 1967
my rent condo in BB
married housing at UGA 
apartment in Cortona for a Summer
house sat for a week outside of Bishop
house sat on West Lake Drive for a year paying only utilities
paid rent to a professor for a year who won an IBM grant
paid rent to a professor for a year who won a Fellowship
rented a condo near the Athens Mall
bought the home I have lived in since March 1986

okay now what were my mornings like in June throughout my life?

at my family home in Detroit

wake up, eat breakfast of cereal, pancakes, french toast or waffles depending on the day of the week
go out and play in my backyard using my imagination to play
cops & robbers
cowboys & indians 
Yankees and Rebels
or jump on my bike and wander throughout the area around my house and school about a mile square area usually.

various places during my first marriage

go to work or school at WSU
for a short time I went out drawing around Boynton Beach playing artist

when I was single in BB

walked to the beach to watch SOL rise out of the ocean
and wander around BB, go to the BB Library, until I separated and divorce and my sons began coming to spend weekends with me.  Then we played, road bicycles, hung out at different beaches, parks, played baseball, went to the zoo and on other excursions.

Most other locations in Palm Beach County

go to work or school at FAU 

since moving to Athens and the many places I have lived here

go to my office or classroom on campus
after having breakfast at Strickland's

since 1986

wake up and go upstairs to my office and work


after internet became regular part of my life

wake up and go upstairs to my office and sign on internet


since 2006

wake up walk down the hall from my MBR to my Dining Area
sign on the internet

or

I have been in Buffalo attending CPSI
or traveling around the world.

Sometimes I needed to look out for snakes, alligators, crocs or other wild animals

when I have been in the Outback of Australia, Bushveld of South Africa or 

while in a variety of other countries or cities watch out for pick pockets or simply avoiding tourists.

June in Georgia, Michigan, Florida has usually been hot to DAMN! HOT! 

in other countries it has depended upon which hemisphere: North or South.

Fun to review JUNES during my life

PS 

because I usually played alone much of the time there were many things I also probably did in June.

1. played baseball bouncing a rubber ball or tennis ball off the   
    curb in front of my house

2. made colored pencil drawings of the flowers 
     around our yard.

3. did housework (washing walls, painting, washing floors, 
     installing tile flooring in basement), gardening and lawn 
     work at $.50 for additional money

4. played with toys: cars, pirate ship and others around the 
     base of the Elm tree in front of our house by the street

5. played baseball with neighborhood friends at Wish Egan 
    park 6 blocks away near my elementary school (pickup or 
    in a softball league a couple years) or in the 
    street in along our block


6. went to movies occasionally for matinees


Alan
alan@cre8ng.com
http://www.cre8ng.com

Comments

  1. Many similarities between our adventures growing up - believe it or not! I threw a tennis ball onto the roof and tried fo figure where it would roll off. I worked for 24 cents an hour. Played around a chinaberry tree in my yard with next-door neighbor children - German immigrants. You've lived in a lot more places than I have. Only Six different houses/apartments since 1951.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just re-read your comment to my WHAT I DID ON JUNE MORNINGS
      and now just re-read my Letter in response to your BLOG Dac.

      Merry Christmas

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts