Never Really Have Lived a NORMAL LIFE

Never Really Have Lived a NORMAL LIFE


Since birth I have NEVER been NORMAL.

Being born with a birth defect may have started this trend.

My mother, a plastic surgeon, speech and hearing experts all
provided help to make me NORMAL.

When reached my teens I chose simply to be me
and generally avoided the MEAN, the NORMS, the COOL KIDS
of any kind really: Greasers, College Prep, Jocks, etc.

While in Engineering school I did pledge and join a fraternity
trying to BELONG.  That really didn't work

In my Freshman year a fraternity brother invited me to run
as VP for our Sophomore class which led me to be active on the Student Council

I ran for Student Council President at the end of my Sophomore year
and won over a far more qualified candidate who was probably 10 years older

During my Junior year I belonged to so many different organizations on campus
i won the MOST ACTIVE STUDENT Award for the year and my grade point
average dropped below 3.0 preventing me from running for an unprecedented
second term.

You name it I was a member, at least on the roles.  I was even made VP of
the Young Republicans Club which I had no respect for.

Using that title I did attend the Michigan Convention when some people were
promoting our Governor Romney for President while the real powers in the party
were promoting Barry Goldwater.

In June 1966 I went through the Military Draft process
and was labeled 4-Y, permanently 4-Y

Another group labeled me NOT NORMAL.

Once finished with my undergraduate degree BS Arch I began working in architecture,
10 firms in all from early 1966 to 1986 with periods of working as a graphics designer, college professor, freelance writer, freelance cartoonist.  One of the other 9 firms other than my own was GBA - Gunnar Birkerts Associates, world renown, award winning, highly published firm.

While in Florida the first year of so I actually worked with 3 different firms at the same time
around the time I complete passing the NCARB exams and obtaining my first state licenses in Michigan and Florida.  A few laters I added Georgia to my wall.

Since 1960 I have had 49 jobs lasting from a day to weeks to months to 4 years until
I began my own professional speaking and consulting firm/practice/corporation
which has so far lasted 32 years and taken me around the world several times to
93 countries and 49 US states so far.

I have never been in the NORMAL part of anyone's BELL CURVE

sometimes to the FAR RIGHT
sometimes to the FAR LEFT
NEVER the Mean
or within the 2 standard deviations of
NORMAL

My traveling especially beginning with my 110 day backpack wandering around the UK, Europe, parts of Eastern Europe and Egypt has caused me to 

NOT. . .THINK, ACT or LIVE like any particular demographic, culture, or NORM group.

One of my creative actions provided me short lived NEWS CYCLE fame
and caused me to be behind bars in a jail and then a prison in Abu Dhabi.





Comments

Popular Posts