Don't Call it DESIGN THINKING, that is so SHALLOW

Don't Call it DESIGN THINKING, 
that is so SHALLOW

True DESIGN is done in so many different ways in each of the DESIGN FIELDS/PROFESSIONS
not what is normally called and taught now as
DESIGN THINKING, a buzzword word, a branded term.

Full Body Thinking
Whole Brain Thinking
4 Dimensional Thinking
5 Dimensional Thinking
Team Thinking
Group Thinking

Terms, names, labels such as these seem so much better terms for the complete design process than the BRANDED "IDEO" gimmick name of Tim Brown and Today's DESIGN THINKING CONSULTANTS.

Thank you for the video.

Thank you for the feedback on the sound of the videos I sent you a couple weeks ago.

You have much better experience with the quality of the sound on videos.

I will work towards that next.

I have been studying DESIGN since I was about 11 or 12 years old:

Architecture, Interior, Furniture, Cartoon, Photographic, Industrial, Product, Model Making, Environmental, Urban, Display, Theater and as the "designer/engineer" in the video you shared called it CONCEPTUAL DESIGN applied to each of these DESIGN FIELDS/PROFESSIONS

From 1962 until 1983 at LIT/LTU, WSU, FAU, UGA I worked on 6 different degrees in different DESIGN FIELDS and Completed 3 design degrees in 3 different overlapping DESIGN FIELDS: Architecture Interior Visual (2, 3 and 4 dimensional)

From 1966 to 1984 I worked in Architecture, Interior, Graphic, Signage, Urban and Environmental Design then I began my 34 year study and practice of teaching, training, learning DESIGN as a speaker, trainer, professor and consultant.

Plus I Taught Design approaches of design I learned through my zealous study of designers from many frields from 1980 to 1984 and have been teaching cartooning in short courses in 1976. When I taught architecture furniture interior graphic lighting rendering or presentation DESIGN courses at UGA in both the Art Dept and the Environmental Design School I gave one project each quarter where the individual students had to study the work, the philosophy, the design approach of a specific famous designer in the respective DESIGN FIELD

These are why I find most of what
DESIGN THINKING PROFESSIONALS talk about so superficial, shallow.

This industrial, airplane designer/engineer truly has studied DESIGN, especially as it applies in the aerospace profession.

Your varied and vast professional and personal background I believe I have become aware of since we first met at CPSI or Mindcamp has made you a much more professional Designer. Plus you definitely have a similar very zealous LEARN LEARN LEARN approach to whatever you choose to study and do.... Visual recording, drawing, presenting, video creation, teaching, training, speaking.

I began to truly learn the need for greater, wider, more extensive, integrated approaches to DESIGN, to THINKING, to CONCEPTION, to PROBLEM SOLVING when I began studying the work of the Bauhaus, Frank Lloyd Wright's studio, and many of my design heros from the various design professions when I was a freshman at LIT in 1962-63 because of the eclectic and totally committed practicing architects and artists who were my professors from 1962 to 1983 at 4 schools.

In 1976 when I first met Bob Eberle and Dorothy Sisk at a Gifted Education Conference I began to become aware of the development, teaching or training of creative thinking and creative problem solving separate from the supposed thinking we were taught in school....which was very little. Then I became aware of Edward de Bono and many other educators who were promoting the true teaching of thinking from a to z, left, right integrated brain. In 1978 I began my zealous fascination with various problem solving models, many different idea generation: SYSTEMS, TOOLS/TECHNIQUES, APPROACHES/ATTITUDES, METHODS, PROCESSES, STRATEGIES and the need to S.P.R.E.A.D. Support Promote Reward/Recognize Educate/Encourage Apply Develop creative thinking, creative problem solving THINKING.... rational, logical, experimental, exploratory, divergent, flexible, personal, feeling, systematic, structural, step by step, traditional or what Herrmann, Kirton, Torrance, Neethling and so many others have labeled as WHOLE BRAIN _____________ing.

Comments

Popular Posts