DESIGN THINKING is too NARROW MINDED

DESIGN THINKING is too NARROW MINDED

Bob


Thank you for asking about the last Saturday's program.  It is one of the programs along with Athens Plein Air, AAA, Athens Photographers Guild, Toastmasters, Rabbit Box and other storytelling and Creative Thinking development programs and associations like SOS, TMI, CPSI, ACA, etc that I support and have for as long as 42 years.

Last Saturdays' was very disappointing based upon my life's work and study from the past 42 to 58 years.

Specifically the reference to TODAY'S ANSWER, FORMULA:

DESIGN THINKING

Design Thinking is a very narrow approach to Design, Thinking or Creative Thinking or Creativity in General to me.

Can it be useful?  yes

Is it beneficial?  yes

Is it a formula to solve all Design Problems?  NO

Yet those who teach it, train it, write about it claim it is the ANSWER, the FORMULA for ALL DESIGN Challenge.

Since I first was exposed to thinking style, learning style, communicating style models or theories in 1976 in a course on HUMAN TESTING for the purpose of understanding self, others, similarities, samenesses, differences in, about, for, among people I have worked from the premise there are potentially unlimited or infinite ways to do ANY HUMAN ACTIVITY or ENDEAVOR.

There is no SINGLE CORRECT or ABSOLUTELY RIGHT ANSWER to any questions (generally) that any human being ever asks.

Even the basic question (assumed to be a math problem) 

WHAT IS ONE AND ONE?

Can lead to many potential, possibly, probable, provable IDEAS, some that SOME PEOPLE label as the CORRECT and ONLY CORRECT answer.

Through your career in art education and your life as an artist my understanding of you is that you and I think or feel, or believe much alike.

I created a basic model I call M.I.N.D. Design to help people understand human beings more effectively.

MYERS-BRIGGS and hundreds of others have been created in the East thousand of years ago called the TAO and in the west by at earliest I have found HIPPOCRATES with his 4 TEMPERAMENTS leading up to the Whole Brain Models.

I try to keep it relatively simple.

Here are 16 basic differences between the 4 extremes

MEDITATIVE (logical, single focused THINKING)
INTUITIVE (exploratory, experimental individual unlimited potential IMAGINING)
NEGOTIATIVE (feeling, caring, sensitive, always seeking harmony)
DIRECTIVE (formula, equation, step-by-step absolute following....not necessarily individual thinking....following the CORRECT RULES)

Design Thinking models to me all are COLORFUL looking DIRECTIVE FORMULAS that claim there is ONLY ONE WAY, the ACCEPTED WAY to DO ANYTHING.

I generally am the complete opposite in my approach to life and thinking.

A few years ago I wrote a blog about DESIGN THINKING where I shared visuals of many versions that existed as THE ANSWERS.

Here is a link to a blog I wrote about THINKING STYLES on my blog Create With Alan 

http://createwithalan.blogspot.com/2013/08/thinking-styles-theories-models.html
that supposedly over 7148 people VIEWED?

This morning I can not find the specific DESIGN THINKING blog article I am looking for where I analzyed many of them and shared graphics of hundreds of models ALL CALLED "THE" DESIGN THINKING MODEL.

Using the field of psychology to compare extremes of thinking

Freud - logical rational independent thinking proven through research

Jung - exploratory imaginative open thinking

Rogers - feeling, group focused

B. F. Skinner - his formula as the only correct one

All aspects or human activities can be blocked out into these 4 extremes

Religions

M  -  Unitarian to agnostic to atheist and some of the BIG 3
I  - Buddhist, Unitarian, non-believing, spiritual, soul focused
N - Unity, 
D - Mormon, all fundamentalist religions Judaism, Muslim, Christianity


mind design basic traits.jpg

If you do a Google search for DESIGN THINKING you will receive millions of hits. This morning in seconds 551,000,000 hits for those two words and the pair of words


If you click on IMAGES in the search you will discover hundreds if not thousands of variations called

DESIGN THINKING.



One of the assignments I used in all 5 of the classes i taught for John Huff in the Interior Design Department and for the LAR School I had the students randomly choose or personally select a specific designer

a. Architecture 101
b. Interiors 101
c. Furniture Design
d. Lighting Design
e. Rendering

In two weeks the assignment was to study THEIR DESIGNER and then write a report answering a list of several questions about them and their approach or philosophy of design in their respective fields plus design a project as if they were that designer.

For example in the Architecture 101 courses (I taught in both the ART Dept and LAR)

Walter Gropius
Frank Lloyd Wright
Bruce Goff
Phillip Johnson
John Johanseen
Marion Mahoney
Mies
and many others on my list of about 50, men and women famous in their design professions

DESIGN THINKING to me is so narrow minded, so limiting....too often a GIMMICK, a BUZZWORD, an INSTANT FORMULA

ALAN

design, thinking, creativity, creative thinking, designing

Comments

Popular Posts