Returning Home After a LONG TRIP, Especially unplanned ones

Returning Home After a LONG TRIP, 
Especially Unplanned Extended Ones

Alan to D.
How has your first day at home been after so long in SA and Sarasota, FL?

D
Oh...what a question. I had an appt to take my car in for a tire that had become completely flat. When I started up the car (which hasn't been started since Oct 2), the engine wouldn't rev up past 1.5 RPM, so there was no way it was going to make it on it's own to the garage. Called AAA for a tow. First day back without a car, so no grocery shopping until tomorrow. Not sure what's wrong with the car. Will know by the morning. Ugh... In the words of Rosanna Danna "It's always something"!!Hope your car will be running well once again shortly.

For you your planned trip was extended by several weeks due to your accident, surgery, hospitalization, and your chosen extended recovery stay in Sarasota with K and friends.

For me in 2014 it was my arrest, jail and prison stay of 4+ weeks.  Fortunately for me I had learned in 2001 that cars can not be left sitting idle for long periods of time without creating serious mechanical and physical problems for them.

Here is what I learned "the hard and expensive way"
from my many long trips away from home.

One of the lessons I have had to learn related to my lengthy trips where I am gone for a month to three or more months straight has been to....

When I began my extended length trips in 1977 I learned that cars MUST be started and driven at least every few days to no less than once every week.

Just remembered that in 1977 and 1978 coincidentally I had someone actually start and drive my cars once or twice each week I was gone.

It wasn't until my first trip around the globe in 2001 did I discover that cars need to be driven and moved to protect the engines and tires and that covering cars for long periods of time with car covers will result in damaged paint finishes.

Not being the auto mechanic that my father was I never thought that leaving a car sitting still would be a problem.  I thought that covering my car with a special car cover would protect the car.  NOPE.

Not sure what car dealers do with their hundreds to thousands of cars on their lots.

In 2001 I learned that all the fluids drain to the bottom of the various parts of the engine and that prevents them from starting again.

Also cars that just sit for long periods of time end up destroying the tires.  Either they dry out and rot or they simply go soft or flat.

So after having to have a couple of my cars towed and worked on so they could be drivable again and the oil and other liquids replaced I began asking my neighbor across the street to drive my car(s) at least once or twice a week.

Also to have him, his wife, or one of his driving age children to do that and to park it in different spots of my driveway or the extra parking area I created off to the side.

Hopefully your life will return to normal soon D.

Comments

Popular Posts