Golf in Wandering Alan's Life

Golf in Wandering Alan's Life

This is a response to a South African friend's post about her getting back into playing golf after 5 years of not.


Robert Alan Black 

it is a challenging game/sport/activity 

Both my son and son-in-law are excellent golfers.

Scott has been playing golf in Florida and use to travel to Tennessee with a foursome to play in tournaments annually.


Jack, my daughter and two grandsons have lived in a golf community for many years.

My son's mother and I played in a Friday night 9 hole league under the lights in the early 70s. It was a par 3 course.

Also in the 70s I had George and Tom Fazio as clients doing promotional and marketing materials for them. Got to visit a mix of the courses they had designed in Florida. Had hoped they would send me to Scotland and Europe to visit some courses there.

No luck.

Last time I played was once with my son in Florida on a championship course, once with Jack on a par 3 course north of Atlanta.

I have walked many courses over the past 40 years for exercise not to play golf.

Twice I was a keynote speaker/workshop leader at the US Mecca of Golf: Pinehurst. Both times when I was checking out the hotel busmen asked "Where are your golf clubs sir?" 

Also the last architectural project I worked on as the project architect was the headquarters for PGA in the community that the architects I was working with them called PGA, Florida.

I may not have been an avid golfer as you Annie but gold has played an important part in my professional life as an architect, designer and as a speaker.

Comments

Popular Posts