MY PASSION FOR ARCHITECTURE

MY PASSION FOR ARCHITECTURE

Dear R in Argentina 

this is a long response explaining my PASSION FOR ARCHITECTURE


modified version of a famous quote often used in the USA for different occupations or professions

"You can take a person out of the profession of architecture;
  BUT you can NEVER TAKE the PASSION for architecture out of him."

There is no such thing as an EX-ARCHITECT or RETIRED ARCHITECT

I have lived through at least 8 PASSIONS and worked in 8 professions/fields that I have left but the ZEALOUS PASSION still remains.

cartooning
architecture
interior design
graphic and signage design
writing/storytelling
teaching/training
speaking
consulting

During the past 20 years I have attempted to either

a. create or find a 8th PASSION
b. integrate the original 8 into a 9th

In 2006 two of the books I read early that year while I was dealing
with two torn rotator cuffs, surgery and physical therapy greatly impacted me
and I created and presented a speech/workshop about

SEARCHING FOR MY 9th ELEMENT


that link is for the ppt slide show I created for the presentation.


My PASSION or LOVE AFFAIR with the profession of ARCHITECTURE began when I was in the 6th grade because of my favorite teacher, Mrs. Johnson, my art teacher throughout most of the 8 years I was in elementary school.  In many ways she inspired me to find my love for 

art, drawing, design, cartooning and architectural design.

I was scheduled to attend a special school in Detroit for high school, called CASS TECH where I could have studied ARCHITECTURE, CARTOONING, DESIGN and ART especially.  But my mother refused to sign the papers and I ended up at an average high school where I basically wasted 4 years of my life.

While studying architecture at an engineering school: Lawrence Institute of Technology because the University of Michigan had turned me down due to an error in my high school transcript many of my design professors further INSPIRED my PASSION for ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN.

During the 10 years from when I graduated from LIT with a BS in Architectural Design I worked at 10 different architectural firms, including GUNNAR BIRKERTS who I had heard speak about his work during a monthly AIA-Student Chapter meeting (American Institute of Architects).  I had also heard several other award winning and some world famous architects speak from 1962 to 1978.

I worked on a M.A. in Planning and completed a M.A. in Interior Architecture at Wayne State University in Detroit from 1966 to 1971.

I applied for architectural design fellowships and grants winning none of them from 1967 to 1976.

In 1977 thanks to part of my inheritance from my father's will I took myself on my 110 day trip of Europe doing what I had wanted to do if I had won the either of Architectural ROME PRIZES I applied for.

From 1980 to 1984 I taught architectural courses at the Univ of GA to interior design and urban planning/landscape students: undergrad and bachelors students.

YES MY PASSION HAS BEEN WITH ME SINCE I WAS 12 YEARS OLD.

I LOVE TRUE QUALITY ARCHITECTURE but not the PROFESSION called Architecture.

Comments

Popular Posts