Using an Unknown Keyboard

Using an Unknown Keyboard

C. Leslie Charles asked me why I used the ý 

or the question mark symbol instead of the letter 'i'.


A Day ýn the Aýr Near Iraq

Expand Messages
  • Robert Alan Black
    Aug 20, 2001
    When you stare at the l�ttle telev�s�on screen �n the
    passenger seat �n front of you and you see that the
    plane �s currently fly�ng �n the NEUTRAL ZONE just
    south of the ent�re southern border of Iraq and w�ll
    be for over 2 hours a l�ttle concern develops.

    I left Chenna� by a w�ld cab r�de through the c�ty to
    the a�rport...followed by two+ hours of stand�ng �n
    check-�n...luggage...customs...�mm�grat�on and a
    ser�es of 3 separate x-ray check l�nes. Then �t was
    off to Duba� (3 1/2 hours) w�th a 1 1/2 stayover �n
    Duba�'s very contemporary, brand new a�rport and the most
    talked about DUTY FREE SHOPS...a MALL w�th an a�rport
    wrapped around �t.

    Then off to Turkey fly�ng over other nat�ons that my
    country does not have the best of relat�onsh�ps w�th.

    f�nally I arr�ved �n Istanbul for the fourth t�me �n 3
    years. It was l�ke com�ng home. I knew all the
    procedures and knew how much the V�sa fee would be.
    Only wa�t was stand�ng at the carousel for my luggage.
    Jonathon you can relate to that (ha ha).

    Then as I walked through the last check po�nt I heard
    my name...�t was my fr�end Esra and her mother who had
    come to p�ck me up at the a�rport. Esra also found a
    n�ce hotel for me located near the anc�ent area.

    After I unloaded my two bags and changed clothes we
    went out to d�nner at a wonderful restaurant �n a
    Byzant�ne bu�ld�ng...courtyard of 4 colonades w�th
    four sets of arches connect�ng each set of 4 columns
    all around a landscaped courtyard.

    Esra and her Mom treated me to a meal of samples of
    trad�t�onal Turk�sh food...

    p�lav = r�ce w�th peas
    bamya = okra
    �spanak = sp�nach
    b�ber = green pepper (I passed on that)
    dana et� = beef course �n sauce
    bakla
    dolma
    kabak = squash
    patl�can = egg plant
    fasul�e = bean d�sh

    Everyth�ng that I tasted was great. None of �t was
    sp�cey...after over two weeks of eat�ng sp�cey foods
    �n Malays�a...S�ngapore...Sr� Lanka...and Ind�a my
    mouth was not sure what to do.

    No need for a gallon of �ce cream or l�tre or two of
    orange ju�ce to wash down the sp�ce.

    Off to tour tomorrow and s�mply have fun �n Istanbul.
    Poss�bly w�ll try to set up a meet�ng w�th a
    publ�sher.

    Off to bed now.

    Merhaba from Wander�ng Alan

Comments

Popular Posts