Red Bag Saga ongoing

Celebrating Wesak Day in Penang this weekend

Updated about 4 years ago
Wesak or Vesak is a holy day observed traditionally by Buddhists in Tibet, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal and the South East Asian countries of Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, and Indonesia.[1] Sometimes informally called "Buddha's Birthday", it actually commemorates the birth, enlightenment (nirvāna), and death (Parinirvāna) of Gautama Buddha.[2] The exact date of Vesākha varies according to the various lunar calendars used in different traditions. In Theravada countries following the Buddhist calendar, it falls on a full moon Uposatha day, typically in the 5th or 6th lunar month. Vesākha Day in China and Korea is on the eighth of the fourth month in the Chinese lunar calendar. The date varies from year to year in the Western Gregorian calendar, but usually falls in April or May. In leap years Vesākha is celebrated in June.
LikeShow more reactions
Comment
Comments
Robert Alan Black Going to experience the celebration of Wesak Day for the first time tomorrow thanks to my friend Soo Beng and his family here in Penang.
May 23, 2013 at 7:21am
LikeShow more reactions
Robert Alan Black Buddha's Birthday.....
May 23, 2013 at 7:22am
LikeShow more reactions
Derek Shields Wesak is a favourite festival of mine, As a Buddhist for 56 years, I love the different ways the it is celebrated in the various countries. In Nepal and north India it´s generally just called the Festival of the Buddha´s birth - lots of beautiful food.See Translation
May 23, 2013 at 7:26am
LikeShow more reactions
Robert Alan Black looking forward to it because I never have "up until now" that is.
May 23, 2013 at 7:38am
LikeShow more reactions
Derek Shields Enjoy! I know you will.
May 23, 2013 at 7:41am
LikeShow more reactions
Robert Alan Black I try to be like a kid with celebrations and new things.
May 23, 2013 at 7:41am
LikeShow more reactions
Robert Alan Black maybe my luggage will be delivered to me tomorrow and I will have something else to celebrate too in addition to Westak Day.
May 23, 2013 at 7:42am
LikeShow more reactions
Derek Shields That´s the way to do it, as Mr Punch used to say. Luggage - I hope so.See Translation
May 23, 2013 at 7:43am
LikeShow more reactions
Robert Alan Black at least they have told me it has reached Jakarta yesterday from the unknown location in San Francisco.

Now to get it to Penang and in my hands once again.............Sooooooooooon! ha ha
May 23, 2013 at 7:47am
LikeShow more reactions
Ken Wall Luggage is baggage - enjoy yourself as you are! Clean clothes are overrated!
May 23, 2013 at 7:47am
LikeShow more reactions
Robert Alan Black I remember about clean clothes being over-rated a couple years ago when my bag(s) went to New York City and I went to Joberg and then to Swaziland and Mozambique with Nico and Ed. While we war traveling my luggage/baggage went to the 314 B&B near Kobus' and was waiting for me when Nico dropped Ed and I off 5 days later. I did have at least 1 change of clothes in my carry on that time.
May 23, 2013 at 7:49am
LikeShow more reactions

Comments

Popular Posts