day of a Wanderer in Athens, Georgia.

day of a Wanderer in Athens, Georgia.

My day began with me driving to Landmark/Athens Dodge to have a oil change and general checkup around 7:30 am.




The service area was filled with cars to be serviced. All the service people were busy.

The service person I bought my 2006 PT Cruiser from in November was handled multiple phone cards and 3 or 4 customers simultaneously IT was chaos. Monday Morning Chaos.

Once Bill Clarke processed in my car I walked off to Strickland's.

Along the mile route I saw so many unsold cards and other interesting things that I had not seen the last time I walked all the Atlanta Hwy in that part of Athens/Clarke Cty.








Once I arrived at Strickland's.....

After ordering my special order

two egg biscuits

one over easy
one scrambled

dry grits with butter on the side
water
Orange juice

As I turned to choose an empty table I saw Paul Strickland sitting at

THE TABLE.

All breakfast and lunch restaurants I have ever been in throughout Georgia the past almost 40 years has

THE TABLE

where the regulars
solve the problems of the town
or the world

From 1980 until about 1995 I often ate breakfast Monday to Saturday at Strickland's

Only on a rare occasion was I ever at

THE TABLE

but I watched the dynamics of

THE TABLE

from across the room for many years each day.

This morning I was at

THE TABLE

first Paul & I.

I asked about his wife to sadly find out she had died in April I am totally out of touch with what is really happening in Athens

I reminded up of how important he and Fran and been in my life back in the 1980s.

One time...

I got to the register and realized I didn't have my wallet or enough change to pay.

Fran said..

"No problem pay the bill next time you come in."

Another even more wonderful thought about a very tragic time in my life

The first time I went in for breakfast after I learned that my son, Jeff, had been killed by a drunk driver in Florida.

Both Fran and Paul shared their support.

Today I reminded him of those two moments and we began a discussion that lasted for an hour to 90 minutes with various others who sat down at

THE TABLE

and joined in.

Two friends having a meaningful discussion about various topics about life today.

Interlopers who heard one or two comments joining in but adding limited value to our discussion.

When I checked my phone I found a voice message. It was Bill Clarke telling me my car needed windshield wipers front and back. He left the phone number but I didn't save it.

The next 10 minutes 3 people were trying to help get the phone number to call Bill back.

When I tried to use 411 I was told I did have enough money on my phone to pay for that service.

Eventually when Ray a friend of Paul's gave me the general number for the dealership that he got on his SMART PHONE, I used my DUMB phone to call and give Bill the go ahead.

Then back to our discussions about saving the world.

When I said I was going to walk back to the dealership Paul said

"I'll give you a ride."

He did.

A friend helping a friend.

Jump ahead to my drive to the post office I was searching for something to listen to on the radio and found some interviewer talking David McCullough about presidents etc. The interviewer mentioned McC's book.

My next destination today was the ACC Library. I decided I would ask if they had it or if they would order it.

I am currently not BUYING BOOKS for a variety of reasons.

Went home picked up the 8 dvds I needed to return and off to the ACC Library.





Asked for help searching at the help desk.

"Yes we have that book."

I found it on the shelves and sat down to play on the internet for awhile.

In a few minutes in walked a couple who have joined the TM 1779 club I am a member of recently. Previously we have had a couple 5 minute or less conversations.

Our discussion led to politics

I let that last for awhile. Obviously like earlier at

THE TABLE

I have different positions and thoughts then he does.

The husband said.

"We ought to get together some time for a debate."

I spent much of the time from 1980 to 2010 giving workshops, training programs and teaching masters degree or Executive Development courses focused on LEADING in TODAY's WORKPLACES with LEADING as the most prominent topic. One of the discussions I always had during my programs was about the US Presidents. Part that dealt with a little bit about all the president from George Washington up to whichever one was in office at the time between 1980 and 2010.

GOOD, BAD & THE UGLY

This man who I do not really know obviously, based on his instant facial expression is an OBAMA Hater.

My dislike, distrust of the buffoon who is currently, supposedly the president is based on watching, studying him for 40 years as an example of the worst developer and in many ways worst human being, let alone call him leader.

We said good bye and I checked out 9 more dvds and the McC book and headed home,

One of the benefits of being
non-employed currently
(I am not RETIRED)
definitely not by choice anyway

Just between speeches or workshops.

Best wishes,

Thanks for reading through this missive about my 
FUN MONDAY

Comments

Popular Posts