Oh the Sad Future Ahead for Book Collectors

Oh the Sad Future Ahead for Book Collectors

Chad

Sorry to hear about your brother
and his collection of books.

I live in a treehouse full of books
that I began buying and collecting
in 1956.

When I do touch any of the shelves, boxes of books
or individual books life memories return and some
memories of the contents of the book

oh if only I had a PHOTOGRAPHIC memory.



recently the creative writing teacher that first met in 1997 when I signed up for here evening adult education class:

MURDER & MAYHEM FOR MONEY 

and met many fellow local writers, some now friends for 10 to 15 to 20 years...also died.

She was 93 or 94

I tried to help deal with her personal and professional books.

I loaded up my car with boxes of them and drove them to the GOODWILL that took them.   

No idea what will happen to them.

After Merry died in 1998 I pulled all her books of many years together.  Sorted them by topic: health, psychology, counseling, New Age, Mysticism, Native American culture, stories and storytelling.  Pulled out ones I MIGHT READ AGAIN.

Tried to sell them unsuccessfully.
Tried to give them to local psychologists and counselors
a few of them came by to look through the sorted boxes
and took probably less than 2 dozen
Tried to give them to masters and PhD students
a few came by and picked through the boxes.

Then while at an Atlanta Braves baseball game with a long time speaker and creativity friend I mentioned about my efforts

"Barbara is organizing a fund raiser for the Stone Mountain Library.  I am coming to Athens on Friday night for a BULLDAWGS basketball game.  I'll come by and pick them up."

all 14 banker storage boxes full 

We packed them up in his van and that was the last I saw of them.

No value for books probably not even for the
AUTHOR SIGNED originals I have.

Tis sad.

I tried selling some through Amazon awhile ago to raise some money as my friend the CPA who does my income taxes every year suggested.  He is a true HOARDER too


​his offices downtown are filled with things he has collected or bought from down and out vets to help them or from local flea markets as a hobby.  He sells on eBay as a hobby too.

I listed 5 books on my RESELL account on Amazon.

In the first 5 days I sold 4 of them.

Then I listed 10 more.   In the next year I got one order
and it was for a book I have never owned.

Oh it is sad what has happened with books, printed books.

Oh I truly wish I had most of these, not the beautiful art and picture books, by the fiction and non-fiction books in

e-book, Kindle or pdf format.

Best wishes Chad and Norma and all your children and grandchildren.

Comments

Popular Posts