URBAN MURALS once only UGLY GANG TAGGING

URBAN MURALS 
once only UGLY GANG TAGGING

Cindy (this may be too long to read on your smartphone while driving)

Thank you very much for sharing that article about the growing:

Fad?
Trend?
Movement now it seems for large scale MURALS around the US and the world.

(this started out as a THANK YOU NOTE and has grown into a ROUGH DRAFT for an ARTICLE or a CHAPTER in a NEW BOOK)

Since I began my global trips going to multiple countries in single trips in 2001 murals were a FAD, an outbreak from the GRAFFITI or the GANG TAGGING CRAZE around the world.

When I traveled to 24 countries from Wales to Egypt in 1977 I saw GRAFFITI in modern and ancient cities in all 24 countries including in Zurich, Switzerland.

I found it interesting when I saw it in Pompeii as I had seen in in the Grand Canyon or other US Parks but I hated it in slum areas of Detroit, Chicago or West Palm Beach.

In 1999 I saw giant murals, actually signs painted on the entire sides of buildings in Istanbul and began photographing them.

Whenever I came across them my mind flashed back to a party theme I had done for Chris McGinnis at McGinnis' in Detroit in 1970 about the life of hoboes.  When I did that theme I had been doing cartoon-like party decorations for the famous bar/restaurant thanks to my father-in-law, Nick Zito who was a salesman who had lunch there often and had gotten me the extra moonlight work, that I loved doing for fun instead of the boring architectural drafting I did 8 hrs a day 5 days a week and the nice extra money, so much more than the $3.50 per hour I earned as a graduate architect with 5 years of experience working at 5 different firms in those 5 years since I graduated with my BS degree when I was lucky to get a job paying $2.50 an hour.

Yes this article or chapter draft is chopping and disorganized, actually much like the way my mind actually works now.

It is so much like me scooping up miscellaneous jigsaw pieces from the thousands of puzzles from my 75 years of living.

As two of the books that influenced me as a speaker in the early 1980s MEGATRENDS by John Naisbitt and The Popcorn Report by Faith Popcorn both told the world of business life was changing around the world in stages.

1st Fads
2nd Trends
3rd Megatrends
4th True Life Changes.

Urban murals have gone from Gang Tagging to Graffiti to truly beautiful Urban Murals now accepted as FINE ART and my traveling had me living this massive change.

Comments

Popular Posts