laryngitis a curse or a gift - Laryngitis coming on from a cold

Dear Fredrik

Laryngitis coming on from a cold(laryngitis a curse or a gift)

best wishes that your voice returns to normal soon.

I remember presentations years ago at NSA Conventions and articles published in the NSA SPEAKER magazine about how to protect our voices against this and possible permanent damage or loss of our voices.

Years ago I experienced Laryngitis coming on from a cold on Friday when I had a yearly Community Leadership Retreat scheduled for Sunday.  I needed the money.  I had to find a solution.

At the time I had a couple costumed clown characters that I had experimented with during workshops and retreats.

the creative solution

On Sunday morning during breakfast before my day long program began I told the client of 10 to 12 years to tell the group that I had been called away and that I had asked a colleague to fill in for me.


Dr. I. L. Create


Then I was introduced as him and did the entire day without speaking a word.  I used many types of visual aids instead of speaking aloud:

posters, slides, flip chart sheets and props

that I had created from Friday.  Only a couple times did I say any words out loud at all. Within a few days with a doctor's prescription and rest it went away and fortunately I have never experienced that again since.


It was scary as no doubt it has been for you Fredrik Härén

I began speaking professionally at civic groups and some professional societies  (American Institute of Architects, Construction Specifiers Institute, American Society of Interior Designers, Association of Business Designers, American Marketing Association) in 1976 occasionally while working as an architect, graphics & signage designer, ramping up by plan in 1980 joined Toastmasters 1779 in Athens, Georgia while I was teaching as a professor at the Univ of GA and working on my Ph.D. Then in 1984 went full-time after completing my PhD and leaving UGA as a professor.  Then I joined the Georgia Speakers Association (now Georgia Chapter) in 1988 and NSA in 1989 and GSF when it was first created by Warren Evans of CAPS.

From 1980 onward I began taking many workshops/training programs in improv acting, clowning, presentation skills, training, teaching.

But until I lost my voice that one weekend never took the warnings about potential damage to my vocal cords seriously.





Best wishes to you that yours will be healed and stronger than ever soon.

My near tragedy helped to create many of my chosen presentation techniques that I have worked hard to develop ever since.

Created 4 cartoon characters and multiple visual personas that I have used now much of the past 38 years.

Dr. I. L. Create (Intelligence, Logic, Creativity)
The Viz Whiz
Mr. Crayon (cartoon and 2 dimensional character)
Alan the human cartoon/clown

even do workshops for speakers and educators about the use of improv, clowning, cartooning now at a variety of creativity confirmations as I will in South Africa once again at the 13th EDU ACRE in Bela Bela, Limpopo, South Africa at Klein Kariba during the week of October 7 to 12th.








Comments

Popular Posts