I totally agree. It was our HOME our NEIGHBORHOOD

To previous residents who grew up in the same section of DETROIT that I grew up in from 1944 to 1966.

We lived in a safe neighborhood one of the Facebook people wrote and then I wrote this response.

I totally agree.

It was our HOME
our NEIGHBORHOOD

it was safe like my family house was

one night while I was in OHS there was an incident that could have become violent on Westphalia between Collingham and Bringard

A grapevine rumor had spread that a "BLACK" family was buying a house on the west side of that block.

Hundreds seemed like thousands to my young brain
came and stood around that end of the block looking at the house that was for sale.

then somehow the rumor was cancelled by the message that family was not moving in.

I had only known growing up in a blue collar ALL WHITE neighborhood until that night.

Racism and Segregation were things that happened in the south between blacks and whites and in the west between indians and whites

BUT not in "OUR" safe, quiet, peaceful neighborhood
OUR PERSONAL MAYBERRY, Michigan.

over the next 10 years Racism, Segregation, Integration became more and more obvious to my naive existence happening in MY DETROIT not other states that my family and I traveled to in the summers each year.

During my 4 years at LIT and then 5 more years at WSU I began to meet African Americans as students and in most cases FRIENDS.

Then the Detroit Riots of 1967

Then Martin Luther King's assassination
I sat working at my drafting stool at Gunnar Birkerts office in Birmingham across from a temp employee who was black.

I still remember how sad and stricken he was by MLK,Jr's assassination in 1969

for all the other guys in that office it was sad.

For him it definitely was so much more.

Comments

Popular Posts