Paris Memories

Paris Memories

Jeanne

thank you for your wonderful email about your trip(s) to Paris!

Had to capture all of the message and post it in a MS Word file to read it.

I guess because of the size of one of your photos in it the text was extremely wide and ran off the far right side of the screen.

In my 1977 Motorcycling Around Europe with a Euro-Rail Pass
(book in process and progress) I have written some about my two times in Paris in 1977. 

The first time I arrived in Paris I had spent a couple weeks traveling around all of Great Britain counterclockwise and arrived via the CHUNNEL train.   I spent about a week including side trips to Chartres and Versailles.

The Second time I arrived shortly after the day ELVIS died, (August 16th according to Wikipedia).  I arrived perhaps two weeks later.  Need to check my journal books from that trip to verify the date.

Thought it was much later than that.  I remember many of the citizens were in grief over his death.

I spent 10 days that trip because I had cut out my week or so of travels from Yugoslavia into Hungary, Slovakia and Poland after I spent 4 days in the hospital in Beograde being saved from Cholera I had contracted in Cairo, Egypt a couple days before.

Instead I decided to recuperate in Paris.

Of course I returned to Chartres, my favorite town on Earth.  That is partly because of the English Tour Guide I had experienced in July 1977, Malcom Miller.

I returned to Chartres to experience him a 3rd and 4th time.  In 1978 when Merry and I traveled for 5 weeks in August & Sept we returned to Chartres for two days once again so we could experience MM twice again.

I have my journals from 1977 among the tons of life mementoes in my creativity studio

There was not internet or www then.

Just searched through my Yahoo.com travel groups that I used to record and share my daily travel experiences with family, friends, colleagues and clients then beginning in June of 2001.

Here is my post from the 1st day back in Paris in 2001

Came from London via the Eurostar under the Channel/CHUNNEL

30 minutes of blackness until we reached the other
side and were in France

Once I got to Paris it was traveler skills time again

ATM machine and then Metro 3-day pass and off to my
hotel that my Parisian friends had booked for me.

Here is how the keyboard I am using looks.
Makes it 
hard to type as an English writer/speaker.

a z e r t y u i o p 
q s d f g h j k l m
w x c v b n , ; : ! 

I did not know that the French used a different
keyboard.  When I received emails from friends later
they pointed out my many typos.


My hotel is a 5, minute walk from the Eiffel Tower

Once I changed clothes I was off to climb to the second
level and then to take the elevator to the top

Fantastic view from up there

can't find the period on this keyboard

Then I walked along the edge of the Seine at the
water's edge from the Eiffel Tower to Notre Dame

Stood in a queue to go up the tower and decided I
would try another time

Off by the metro to the Pompidou Center---gigantic
gallery of modern art and a library

I missed my train to Madrid because I became
mesmerized by the building in 1977

Now off to enjoy some night life (observing it that is)

Tomorrow off to Disneyland Paris

au revoir

Wandering Alan

A friend and her husband I have known through CPSI since 1978, who live in Paris, asked me if I would CAT / HOUSE Sit a few years later and I almost did it so I could return to Paris once again. Don't remember why I didn't then.

I did return in 2008 for a one day visit.

Sadly not since.

2010 is when I began going to Asia and South America each year in addition to going to South Africa and no longer to Europe or Great Britain.

It is fun to remember travels

Thanks again for sharing yours and reading mine if you have read this far.


Comments

Popular Posts