FREE and Unemployed Once Again

FREE and Unemployed Once Again
(response to my asking my photographic friend - 
 fellow Shutterchance member
 if she knew the work of Paolo Soleri
 one of my architectural heroes since 1964)

Dear Elizabeth

I would have be shocked...just kidding
if you said you didn't know Paolo's work.

One of my temporary design professors
who was working on his own masters degree
at Cranbrook:  Glen Small had worked
with Paolo at Arcosanti and convinced
our Dean of Architecture to have him
as a guest speaker for our schools
AIA Chapter.

I was inspired

Considered working with Paolo too
but then I got married.

Many of my dreams never happened
during the almost 10 years I was married then.

Traveling to see great, creative, inspirational architecture and art

Accepting a grant to live in Italy in a small village

I did manage to work with Gunnar Birkerts
a dream job.

But in an extremely stressed state one Monday morning
I packed up some design and artwork and went looking for
a job in advertising or graphic or industrial design
instead of going to my dream job.

two days later I met with one of the best bosses
I have ever, Jack Hilberry, who hired me two years before,
a long time friend of Gunnar's and his partner

Instead I looked for my next dream job for 9 weeks
which I ended up learning about from my in-laws'
next door neighbor, Bob (family name I can't remember this morning)
who knew I had been looking for a design job.

He suggested one Sunday afternoon when I saw him

"I think SH&G is looking for graphic designers."

The next day I called. Set up an employment interview.
Aced it and got hired.

Funny thing as typing this I realized the
similarity to the past 3 years since
I returned from the prison as a FREE person.

In 1970 I was trying to set myself FREE
from my wife but did not consider divorce an option then.

In 1976 I was working at another DREAM JOB
and she asked for a trial separation.

1st she went away for a week 
I learned later with the older man
who would become her 2nd husband
about a year after we officially divorced.

When I went on my week separation
thanks to a friend of a friend
who let me stay in one of his rental apartments
without paying right away
I realized within the next few days
I could no longer live in the same house or stay married to her.

Months later I filed for non-contested divorce
and became FREE once again
FREE and unemployed or NOT WORKING
like I have been for the past 3 years.

Writing this was a release and will post it 
in the BLOG where I post memoir writings.

Best wishes Elizabeth.


Comments

Popular Posts